Monthly Archives: February 2017

Baby ballerina!

I’ve finished another project. This is good as I have 2 baby wizard cloaks¬†to make (don’t ask) and am returning to work in a couple of weeks (albeit on a part time basis). I’m sure my knitting rate is going to slow down now.

I picked up a pattern for a baby ballerina cardigan and some Sirdar Snuggly Crofter img_4930Fair Isle effect DK yarn (Shade 0177) a few weeks ago. The pattern is great as it goes up to 7 yrs old. I was undecided what size to do for my daughter as, although when I cast on she was 10 months old, she is still in 3-6 month clothes. In the end I choose the 6-12 month size and then reaslised I better crack on with it before she grows too big. For the first time in my life I circled the numbers for that size (previously I’ve always made the smallest size) but even with the circling I almost forgot a few times! I decided to make the sleeves slightly longer as she had fairly long arms. Amazingly the sleeves match – this was pure luck as the second sleeve was with a brand new ball of yarn and I literally just started from the end. It’s strange how these things happen sometimes.

img_4928I finally finished yesterday and spent most the evening sewing it together, adding the popper and the ribbons. I haven’t blocked it or even ironed it yet as I was desperate for my daughter to wear it today. It’s a little short in the body (although I think this is partly the design) but other than that I’m quite pleased. It got a few compliments at baby group this morning. What do you think?

I’m not sure what to knit next. I still have an adult jumper on the go so perhaps I should focus on that. I also have loads of random baby DK yarn in my cupboard. I don’t want to make a blanket -any other suggestions on what to do with it?

Teapot sweater!

Back in June, my sister gave me a knitting kit for my birthday. It was for a teapot sweater and came with a pair of beautiful beaded knitting needles and some Dartmoor National Park sheep wool. Well last week I finally got round to casting on.

img_4792

The pattern had lots of ribbing and mock cables – easy to go wrong with my 10 month old daughter crawling around – and oh boy, did I go wrong! For the first time in my life I ended up pulling out a needle and ripping back (10 whole rows). I was terrified but also couldn’t continue once I had spotted 3 huge mistakes. Amazingly though I managed to sort it out without having to completely start from scratch. Although I think this was more luck than skill.¬†Once I had sorted that out and focused more on what I was knitting, the rest grew quite quickly. And now my teapot has a jumper!!

img_4808

My next project is a wrap cardigan for my daughter. I bought the pattern, yarn and ribbon last weekend and I am desperate to start it. Perhaps I’ll start tonight with a cup of tea from my newly dressed teapot!