Back in June, my sister gave me a knitting kit for my birthday. It was for a teapot sweater and came with a pair of beautiful beaded knitting needles and some Dartmoor National Park sheep wool. Well last week I finally got round to casting on.
The pattern had lots of ribbing and mock cables – easy to go wrong with my 10 month old daughter crawling around – and oh boy, did I go wrong! For the first time in my life I ended up pulling out a needle and ripping back (10 whole rows). I was terrified but also couldn’t continue once I had spotted 3 huge mistakes. Amazingly though I managed to sort it out without having to completely start from scratch. Although I think this was more luck than skill. Once I had sorted that out and focused more on what I was knitting, the rest grew quite quickly. And now my teapot has a jumper!!
My next project is a wrap cardigan for my daughter. I bought the pattern, yarn and ribbon last weekend and I am desperate to start it. Perhaps I’ll start tonight with a cup of tea from my newly dressed teapot!
We had a family outing to the zoo the other day as we were given an annual pass for Christmas. Unfortunately when we arrived home I realised that I didn’t have my knitted phone case. I searched everywhere but with no luck. I was gutted as that was the first thing I knitted.
I decided that I should make another one. We had a short break at my mums for new year and I stupidly forgot to take anything with me to do. My mum was doing a bit of crochet so I flicked through her DK book and there it was … a pattern for a phone cover just like my old knitted one but in crochet form. So I raided her craft room and found some yarn and a 4mm hook. Having only done granny squares and one little project a while ago, it took a while to get going but after a few dodgy rows I got into the swing of it. It only took a couple of days and when I got home I dug out a bright button to finish it off.
I think I prefer knitting but now feel a little more confident to attempt a few crochet patterns. Any suggestions on what I should attempt next?
Right. This must be my final project before I have my baby. Only have a day left and have a long list of jobs around the house that need to be done. I managed to buy dog food and defrost the freezer today, but apart from that I have just been knitting! So here is my final completed project before I become a mummy… a pair of baby socks. They were so quick and easy to knit and amazingly I managed to get them both matching exactly (more luck than judgement). And the best thing? They match my socks as I used the left over yarn from the socks I made last year. I feel a good photo opportunity coming on. Although I will feel a little guilty if baby is a boy as they are a little pink!
As I said in my previous post, I have been sitting around waiting for a hospital appointment and so have been doing loads of knitting. Well I did cast on a matching hat for my baby cardigan. I did a fair amount actually at the hospital while being monitored and waiting to speak to the doctor so it didn’t take long to finish. Unfortunately the ECV was unsuccessful and my baby is still well and truly breech. So I’ve run out of options and am booked in for a c section in only a few days time. I am absolutely gutted as I was strangely looking forward to labour and birth. Feel like I’m being cheated out of the experience. I need to think positively though as I can’t keep crying about it and who knows the baby may turn itself in the next couple of days!
I have a pair of knitted socks in my hospital bag and have just found the left over yarn from them. With a few days to go until my baby appears, I am going to try and knit a pair of baby socks to match mine! Not sure if I’ll have enought time or enough yarn for that matter but it’s worth a shot!
I have been slowly making granny squares ever since my colleague taught me back in June while we were at camp with Year 6. Every now and then I pick a few colours from my ever increasing bag of left over yarn and knock out a granny square. I realised the other day that I had 12 squares in total which would be perfect for a little blanket for my baby who is due next month.
So I popped out and bought some navy blue DK to join it all together. It was quite fiddly to join with this colour as it was difficult to see the chains in the winter light but eventually I managed it. I then, used YouTube to learn how to add a scalloped edge to finish it off. Here is the finished blanket (not yet ironed) – what do you think?
So with no work and very little energy to get out and about, my knitting rate has reached a new high. In just a few days I have managed to knit a baby hat which matches the babygro that I have just completed (see previous post). It was very simple to make with just a straightforward knit and purl rectangle pattern which was then sewn together and tied at the top.
Simple but quite effective I think. I can’t wait to put this little outfit on my baby when he/she arrives in a few months.
I have also added another granny square to my pile and it looks like I almost have enough for a pram sized blanket. Not sure whether to bash out some yellow and green socks to add to the outfit or whether to get going with a jumper for the baby next.
I posted a few weeks ago having finished the zpagetti crochet bag kit that my mum bought me. The kit came with a pair of wood effect plastic handles; however they just didn’t seem right. The bag was left in the cupboard handle less and useless. I had actually forgotten all about it when I stumbled on a beautiful pair of natural cord and wood handles in the market. They were perfect! I didn’t think twice, handed over the cash and rushed home to attach them to the bag. And here they are…