Back in June, my sister gave me a knitting kit for my birthday. It was for a teapot sweater and came with a pair of beautiful beaded knitting needles and some Dartmoor National Park sheep wool. Well last week I finally got round to casting on.
The pattern had lots of ribbing and mock cables – easy to go wrong with my 10 month old daughter crawling around – and oh boy, did I go wrong! For the first time in my life I ended up pulling out a needle and ripping back (10 whole rows). I was terrified but also couldn’t continue once I had spotted 3 huge mistakes. Amazingly though I managed to sort it out without having to completely start from scratch. Although I think this was more luck than skill. Once I had sorted that out and focused more on what I was knitting, the rest grew quite quickly. And now my teapot has a jumper!!
My next project is a wrap cardigan for my daughter. I bought the pattern, yarn and ribbon last weekend and I am desperate to start it. Perhaps I’ll start tonight with a cup of tea from my newly dressed teapot!
Luckily my dog is now home and he seems to be on the mend. It’s been a very tiring week – SATs tests with my class during the day and check ups at the vet in the evening. I’m exhausted! However, this week I have managed to learn how to cable knit on a mini project.
After a little searching, I stumbled across a pattern for a cup cozy https://kydelmakes.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/free-pattern-alert/#comment-749. The pattern says to use 5mm needles and a chunky yarn but the largest needles I currently have are 4mm. I picked up some left over DK yarn from my frog and gave it a go. I found using the cable needle very fiddly at first but as time went on it got easier. As both my needles and yarn were smaller than recommended, the strip came out too thin for a effective cozie and so I decided to adapt the pattern to create a headband. I continued to knit until the strip was about 120 rows in length and cast off. Then I picked up 4 stitches from the centre of the cast off edge and knit in stokinette stitch for approximately 7 inches. Finally I cast off and fixed the end to complete the loop. It’s a little loose (I think 6 inches would have been better) but quite comfortable to wear.
Tomorrow I might crack out the double pointed needles for another coaster – perhaps an octagon this time. Then on Monday, I’m taking the kids on camp and so I don’t want to start a big project – not sure how I’m going to manage a whole week without picking up my needles! Fingers crossed that next week flies past (without too much rain) as the following week is half term and I plan to spend most of it either knitting or stocking up on yarn and accessories!!!