I’ve finished another project. This is good as I have 2 baby wizard cloaks to make (don’t ask) and am returning to work in a couple of weeks (albeit on a part time basis). I’m sure my knitting rate is going to slow down now.
I picked up a pattern for a baby ballerina cardigan and some Sirdar Snuggly Crofter Fair Isle effect DK yarn (Shade 0177) a few weeks ago. The pattern is great as it goes up to 7 yrs old. I was undecided what size to do for my daughter as, although when I cast on she was 10 months old, she is still in 3-6 month clothes. In the end I choose the 6-12 month size and then reaslised I better crack on with it before she grows too big. For the first time in my life I circled the numbers for that size (previously I’ve always made the smallest size) but even with the circling I almost forgot a few times! I decided to make the sleeves slightly longer as she had fairly long arms. Amazingly the sleeves match – this was pure luck as the second sleeve was with a brand new ball of yarn and I literally just started from the end. It’s strange how these things happen sometimes.
I finally finished yesterday and spent most the evening sewing it together, adding the popper and the ribbons. I haven’t blocked it or even ironed it yet as I was desperate for my daughter to wear it today. It’s a little short in the body (although I think this is partly the design) but other than that I’m quite pleased. It got a few compliments at baby group this morning. What do you think?
I’m not sure what to knit next. I still have an adult jumper on the go so perhaps I should focus on that. I also have loads of random baby DK yarn in my cupboard. I don’t want to make a blanket -any other suggestions on what to do with it?
Right. This must be my final project before I have my baby. Only have a day left and have a long list of jobs around the house that need to be done. I managed to buy dog food and defrost the freezer today, but apart from that I have just been knitting! So here is my final completed project before I become a mummy… a pair of baby socks. They were so quick and easy to knit and amazingly I managed to get them both matching exactly (more luck than judgement). And the best thing? They match my socks as I used the left over yarn from the socks I made last year. I feel a good photo opportunity coming on. Although I will feel a little guilty if baby is a boy as they are a little pink!
As I said in my previous post, I have been sitting around waiting for a hospital appointment and so have been doing loads of knitting. Well I did cast on a matching hat for my baby cardigan. I did a fair amount actually at the hospital while being monitored and waiting to speak to the doctor so it didn’t take long to finish. Unfortunately the ECV was unsuccessful and my baby is still well and truly breech. So I’ve run out of options and am booked in for a c section in only a few days time. I am absolutely gutted as I was strangely looking forward to labour and birth. Feel like I’m being cheated out of the experience. I need to think positively though as I can’t keep crying about it and who knows the baby may turn itself in the next couple of days!
I have a pair of knitted socks in my hospital bag and have just found the left over yarn from them. With a few days to go until my baby appears, I am going to try and knit a pair of baby socks to match mine! Not sure if I’ll have enought time or enough yarn for that matter but it’s worth a shot!
I’ve had a rubbish few days sitting at home waiting for a hospital appointment to try and turn my breech baby but so far with no luck. They keep ringing me up and postponing to the following day as apparently they are very very busy. However, it has meant that I have had lads of time to knit and have managed to finish my baby cardigan at last! It took a lot of sewing together as the cable border and button border and collar were all knitted separately. I popped out this afternoon and chose the buttons with help from the lovely lady at my local knitting shop. If I have enough time tomorrow I might knock out a matching hat!
Life has been so busy recently with work and I’ve been so tired by the evenings, that knitting has been restricted to weekends only. Therefore my striped babygro has taken weeks to finish. It was the first proper garment that I have knitted and so I learnt a few new techniques along the way, including blocking which seemed to work ok.
The collar and cuffs took a while and the sewing up. But now it finished and in my drawer of baby related purchases ready for baby’s arrival in 3 months time. Now I’m going to do a matching hat and booties before I start on a lovely cable knit patterned baby jumper in some Spring coloured yarn that I have bought.